Princes Pier is a 580 metre long pier on Port Phillip bay in Port Melbourne known as the New Railway Pier until renamed Prince’s Pier after the Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII) May 1920.
The pier was constructed between 1912 and 1915 by the Melbourne Harbour Trust to supplement the adjacent Station Pier (Railway Pier).
From 1915 until 1969 it was the arrival point for thousands of migrants linked by rail to the Port Melbourne railway line.
Fires in the late 1990s – 2004 destroyed much of the wooden structure. A refurbishment was announced by the State Government in April 2006, with the first 196 metres of the Pier fully restored, beyond that point the decking removed and the original pylons preserved. A full restoration began in October 2007 and the pier reopened to the public in December 2011.
Today, Princes Pier is one of Melbourne’s most popular photography destinations.
Princes PierContent: Wikipedia | Images: Google